Wirt Rowland a.k.a. Wirt C. Rowland, was born in Clinton, Michigan. Rowland was an architect best known for his work in defining the architecture genre in the City of Detroit. There he worked for the top Detroit architects such as: George Mason, Albert Kahn, Malcomson & Higginbotham, and Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. Between 1922 and 1930, Rowland’s career peaked with the position of Head Designer at Smith Hinchman & Grylls, now called the (SmithGroup). Throughout his career, Rowland has designed Southeastern High School in Detroit, Michigan (1915), the Harlan Hatcher University of Michigan Library in Arbor, Michigan (1915 – 1920), the General Motors Building (1919 – 1923), the First National Building (1922), the Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church (1925), the Buhl Building (1925), the Penobscot Building (1928), the Guardian Building (1929) and many more. To honor his legacy and achievements, the Wirt C. Rowland. His architectural gift to Clinton is the design for the Mortuary Chapel and the addition to the First Congregational Church.
For more information on Wirt C. Rowland, visit www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirt_C._Rowland[youtubegallery]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGS0JP4FjY[/youtubegallery]